Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Now that's more like it

Day 2

And this time I did see David Carey. But I didn't talk to him. I did, however, get some research assignments, which I love, and start working on a few little projects. Nothing too fancy yet, but I'm perfectly happy to transcribe an interview or update the index for now. It just feels so natural to me to be sitting at a desk typing away or hunting down information. I finally feel at ease with this whole change.

Today got me thinking more about what my goals are. Yes, I know I want to climb the masthead hitting every level I can. Yes I'd like to be EIC. And president. And Cathie Black. But there's more to it.

I want to reach the point in my career where I can walk into someone's else's office without an appointment. I want to sit at a table or, more likely at a magazine stand at a wall, and discuss ideas freely. I want to come up with the assignments, and test them out on an excited intern.

I feel very aware of the lines drawn between the top editors and the junior editors, the junior editors and the interns. I'm just looking forward to the time when they don't look so solid.

No comments:

Post a Comment