Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Be Assertive! B-E Assertive! B-E A-S-S..oh you get it.

This may be the hardest lesson of all. Once college knocked the arrogance out of me, I'm afraid I went too far in the other direction. My first instinct in most professional interactions is "Stop wasting their time!" which is an important lesson too (no one wants her time wasted), but it shouldn't stop a person all together. Right? Of course right.

I have a new personal rule: No more self-deprecating thoughts. No more acting like it's a big favor that they're letting me work for them. No more approaching every task with the thought "Don't mess it up!" I have to act like I belong. What is it they say? "Fake it 'til you make it." Kitchy, but it works.

Here's how I think about it: I can't just keep playing  not to lose; at some point I have to start playing to win. Today is that point.

So I did something kinda gutsy. We'll see if it paid off. I'm already regretting it, but what's the worst that could happen?

I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment